Why do we celebrate Easter. What is Easter. How to explain Easter to kids. What is the connection between eggs, bunny and Easter. I always used to wonder about these questions. So here in this article I will be answering most of these along with some fun Easter facts for kids and activities and games they can play on Easter.
What is Easter
Easter is a Christian Holiday celebrated as the day of Jesus Christ’s resurrection.back to menu ↑
When is Easter Celebrated
The date of Easter celebration changes every year.
Easter is celebrated on first Sunday after the first full moon following the spring equinox (equinox happens twice a year. its the date or time when day and night are of equal length.
This always occurs on or between 22 March and 25th April.back to menu ↑
Why do we celebrate Easter
On Easter Sunday, the Christian community celebrates the renaissance of the lord, Jesus Christ. It is believed in Christians that Jesus Christ was reborn three days after Jesus was crucified by the Romans on the cross
It consists of a series of events and holidays that begins
- 40-day period of Lent – the time of fasting, prayer and sacrifices which begins on Ash Wednesday.
- week before Easter is known as Holy week – includes the celebration of Jesus last supper with his 12 Apostles known as Holy Thursday, Good Friday– day when Jesus was crucified and Holy Saturday (time between crucifixion and resurrection)
- and then Easter Sunday– the day when Jesus raised from dead.
Why is Easter important
Easter is a very noteworthy date on the Christian calendar. In the Bibles New Testament, the renaissance of Jesus is defined as the basically the foundation stone for the Christianity.
As per the New Testament, The Roman authorities arrested Jesus as he claimed that he was the God’s son, due to this some say Romans thought him to be potential threat to the Roman Empire. As per the authors of the gospels, rebirth of Jesus was the proof that he was the son of God.
Easter in the most important Christian festival and it is celebrated with joy by all 🙂back to menu ↑
How do we celebrate Easter
Many Christians spend time in church in thought, in prayer and in celebration of Jesus Christ’s life and resurrection. They get together for a special meal together with friends and family.
Easter is celebrated around the world with special church services, music, flowers, ringing of church bells, exchanging gifts, Easter baskets.back to menu ↑
What are the other traditions and games associated with Easter
- Easter egg hunts – its a game in which kids search for hard boiled eggs that are painted or decorated, artificial eggs, or egg shaped chocolates or candies usually outdoors and put what they find in their basket. After the hunt is over prizes are given to kids
- Easter egg roll – a game played with hard boiled decorated eggs. There are different version across countries, but mainly the hard boiled decorated Easter eggs are rolled. It could be a race or a game n which whose egg remains unbroken wins
- Ester bunny giving Easter gift baskets to kids (even adults at times). Easter baskets are mainly baskets of toys, gifts, decorated eggs, chocolate eggs, chocolate Easter bunnies and candies for the kids.
Why is Easter named so
The work Easter comes from the word Ēosturmōnaþ meaning Easter month – old name for month of April. which in turn was named after Ēostre – pre-christian Goddess in England who was celebrated in month of spring.
One thought is Easter was originally a pagan festival celebrating the beginning of spring. The festival focused on fertility and used rabbits and eggs as symbols. Early Christians adopted the festival to celebrate the resurrection of Christ.back to menu ↑
Where does the tradition of Easter eggs come about
Eggs were a traditional symbol of fertility and rebirth. Easter eggs symbolize the empty tomb of Jesus from which Jesus resurrected. Thus eggs are associated with Easter.
Also eggs were not eaten during Lent and Holy week before Easter, so any eggs laid that week were saved and decorated and then given to children as gifts.
With time this has also adapted to the current way of giving baskets filled with gifts and goodies.back to menu ↑
How did the Easter bunny come about
Although the origin of the tradition of Easter bunny is not known, people believe that in 1700s the German immigrants brought this with them into America. In various cultures, Rabbits are considered to be the eager reproducer and give birth to multiple babies so they became a symbol of fertility and new life.
There is also another belief that the idea of Easter bunny originated among German’s.
Germans believed that Easter bunny was a white hare that would leave colourful eggs for kids that behaved nicely. So kids would wake up on Easter morning and build nests out of sticks and leaves so that the Easter bunny can leave them eggs.
This is probably how Easter egg hunts started ;-).
Original Easter baskets were made to look like these nests with colourful goodies inside.
back to menu ↑
Fun facts About Easter for kids
- The tradition of Easter egg roll happens on the ground of White house every year. It started in 1879
- Chocolate Easter eggs were introduced in the early 1900’s. Before that gifts consisted of decorated chicken eggs and stuffed hollow cardboard eggs
- Pretzels were originally associated with Easter? They are thought to be invented by ancient German monks and were created in a pattern to represent two folding arms in prayer
- In Sweden they do not have Easter Bunny but Easter wizard
- Over 16 billion jelly beans are made each year in anticipation for Easter holidays. They are used to fill up plastic eggs.
Easter games and activities ideas for kids
- Egg Hunts: Hide the eggs and let kids find them. Another variation is to assign different color for each group and the group finding all the egg of the assigned color wins the games. You can also hide a golden egg and the group that finds it gets bonus candies or prize.
- Relay race with the egg on the spoon
- Making Easter bunny with socks
- Making Easter baskets with Popsicle sticks
- Read Easter Books for kids
Check out these Fun and Easy Easter crafts ideas for kidsback to menu ↑
Easter Books for kids
How you enjoyed going through this article and now have sufficient idea on What is Easter, How is Easter celebrated, how come Easter bunny and eggs are associated with it so hopefully can talk and explain kids about why Easter is celebrated
If you liked this article on Why do we celebrate Easter? Don’t forget to Pin it
[pinterest-image message=”Why do we celebrate Easter. What is Easter. How to explain Easter to kids. What is the connection between eggs, bunny and Easter. I always used to wonder about these questions. So here in this article I will be answering most of these along with some fun Easter facts for kids and activities and games they can play on Easter and Easter books for kids. #easter #eastereggs #easterbunny #eastercrafts #why #celebrate #jesus #Books #kids #crafts #holiday” align=”center” custom_image=”https://www.sharingourexperiences.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Why-do-we-celebrate-Easter_pin.jpg”]
Liked this post ?
You may also want to check out Easy and Fun Easter Crafts for kids
Your Turn Now
In case if you liked this article on – Why do we celebrate Easter and think it may help someone do show your support by sharing this article.
Like our Facebook Page
Stay connected with us using your favourite social media, we can be found on
Add a comment
Did you like this article on – Why do we celebrate Easter, how to explain to kids and fun Easter facts for kids ? Do let us know using comments below and if you have any more questions or something to add please do let me know. Would love to hear from you.