Looking for best Laundry detergent for babies in India? Check out this article that covers everything you need to know
Welcome to parenthood, your family has grown with two little feet, and the laundry load has been doubled too! Have all the burping spit-ups and poop blowouts made your laundry frequency more frequent? Let’s not discuss how often it is if you’re cloth diapering your baby.
You must be desperate to dress your little one in those cute onesies and rompers but at the same time worried for the right detergent to wash their clothes. It can be tough finding the right product for your baby’s laundry that is why we have brought together this easy guide. Hopefully, the tips and advice will help you make the right choice of detergent for your baby.
Best Laundry Detergent brands in India 2020
Here’s a quick list of detergents available in India.
|Product name||Product link|
|Himalayan Gentle Baby Laundry Wash||Click Here|
|Mother Sparsh Plant Based Laundry Detergent||Click here|
|Chicco Laundry Detergent||Click here|
|MeeMee Mild Baby Laundry Detergent||Click Here|
|Pigeon Laundry Powder Detergent||Click Here|
|Johnson’s Baby Laundry Detergent||Click Here|
|Farlin Baby Detergent||Click Here|
|Tiffy & Toffy Baby Laundry Detergent||Click Here|
|Born Good Liquid Detergent||Click Here|
|Mama Earth Laundry Detergent||Click Here|
Best Laundry Detergent for baby clothes in India 2020
Himalaya Gentle Baby Laundry Wash
This is the best detergent for kids clothes. It gives a refreshing feeling, has a mild fragrance
Himalaya Gentle Baby Laundry Wash 500 ml (Bottle)
- With natural antibacterial ingredients gentle on hands, tough on stains; Gentle, safe and researched
- Enriched with soapnut extract, well - known for stain removal properties, this formulation is tough on stains and odor
- This laundry wash maintains the softness of the fabric and has a fresh and mild fragrance post wash without leaving detergent residue
- Himalaya gentle baby laundry wash is specially formulated with naturally derived cleansing agents and herbal actives that are effective yet gentle on your baby's clothes
- PACKER: The Himalaya Drug Company,Tumkur Road, Makali, Bangalore - 562162; IMPORTER: The Himalaya Drug Company,Tumkur Road, Makali, Bangalore - 562162
MotherSparshPlant Based Laundry Detergent
One of the best detergents available in the market. Gentle on hands and gentle on clothes, perfect for your baby’s laundry.
Mother Sparsh Baby Laundry Liquid Detergent (Powered by Plants) with Bio - Enzymes and Eucalyptus Oil, 1l
Rs. 469 in stock
- SAFE & PLANT POWERED FORMULA: Plant extracts & Essential oils combined to formulate this mild & super-safe baby detergent.
- EFFECTIVE ON TOUGH STAINS: Natural formula added with bio-enzymes to remove different variety of stains like milk spot, dirty & food leftovers.
- ANTI BACTERIAL: With ingredients like Aloe & Neem, this baby detergent has antibacterial properties that help in disposing off the microbes, germs & bacteria which emerges from food spills, sweat or dirt.
- NATURAL, BIODEGRADABLE & NON TOXIC: Mother Sparsh laundry detergent for babies is formulated with elements from nature making the product super gentle, non-toxic & environment friendly.
- SUITABLE FOR NEW BORN:- Newborn has everything so gentle & so serene. We formulated Mother Sparsh baby liquid detergent specially for newborn’s need.
MeeMee Mild Baby Laundry Detergent
Mee Mee Mild Baby Liquid Laundry Detergent (1.2 L - Refill Pack)
Rs. 432 in stock
- Mild detergent specially formulated for washing your baby's clothes
- Biodegradable and anti-bacterial, no harsh chemicals
- No artificial colouring, totally safe, wonderful whitening effect
- Phosphorous and fluorescent-free, removes stains effectively
- Prevents soil and dirt from depositing onto the fabric
Pigeon Laundry Liquid Detergent
Pigeon Multifunctional Laundry Detergent, Sunshine (1.2L)
Rs. 476 in stock
- Natural formula alcohol free, mild formula - gentle on hands, phosphorus and fluorescent brighteners free, mild fragrance
- It has 3 actions, cleans and brightens, colour protection, care for textile fibers
- Suitable for cleaning cotton, linen, chemical fibre and blended materials such as clothing and textiles
- It contains plant extracts which effectively cleans variety of stains on baby clothes (including milk, urine, potty stains)
- It has been fortified with bacteria removal ingredients and plant sources hydrolysed wheat protein which can help ease the dark colors, fibre wear and tear caused by washing
Chicco Laundry Detergent
Chicco Baby Laundry Detergent, Fresh Spring, 5X Stain & Germ Fighter, Kills 99% of Germs, Gentle on Clothes & Skin (1 L)
Rs. 449 in stock
- Chicco Baby Laundry Detergent has been specially formulated to effectively clean baby’s clothes by removing tough stains, odour and germs while keeping them gentle and delicate on baby’s skin- a preferred choice for both parents and baby
- 5X Stain & Germ Fighter: Has a unique combination of 5 key enzymes that are effective against almost all types of stains and germs that a baby’s clothes are prone to get such as baby food, ghee-oil, fruits-vegetables, dirt-dust, and pee-poop
- Anti-Bacterial & Anti-Fungal: Kills 99% of commonly found bacteria and fungi that can get attached to baby’s clothes from sweat, drool, food spillage, etc. thus keeping them germ free and safe for baby
- Dermatologically Tested on Sensitive Skin: It gives your little one’s clothes a thorough and hygienic wash while keeping them gentle and delicate on baby’s skin. Delicate like a mother’s touch
- Gentle & Safe: Chicco Baby Laundry Detergent is free from Phosphorus, Fluorescence, Brighteners, and Colorants, thereby, preventing any discomfort and irritation to the baby’s skin
Farlin Baby Detergent
Farlin Anti-Bacterial Baby Clothing Detergent (1000ml Bottle)
Rs. 475 in stock
- Farlin’s Natural plant extract formula effective in removing greasy dirt and stain
- Natural, non-phosphorus, Non fluorescence, non-stimulation
- Anti-bacterial, non-stimulation, Non-phosphorus & non-fluorescence
- Unique anti-stink formulation ensure that your baby’s clothes smell fresh
- Soft on fabric, does not fade the color
Tiffy & Toffy Baby Laundry Detergent
Tiffy & Toffee Baby Laundry Detergent with In-Built Germicide and Softener, 1L
- Anti-fungal on E. Coli and staph
- Non-toxic, phosphate and fluorescent free
- Easy rinsing
- Plant, natural feeling
Luv Lap Baby Laundry Liquid Detergent
LuvLap Baby Laundry Liquid Detergent, Food Grade, Refill Pack, 1000ml (Pack of 2)
Rs. 625 in stock
- Mild and gentle on the baby’s skin but tough on dirt and stains
- Removes the toughest of stains and prevents re-deposition of dirt
- Advance Cationic Softening Factor keeps garments soft and bright
- Environment friendly formula with pH balance
- Anti-bacterial,Non Toxic,No Artificial colours
Mama Earth Laundry Detergent
Mamaearth's Plant Based Baby Laundry Liquid Detergent, With Bio-Enzymes and Neem Extracts, 1000ml
Rs. 509 in stock
- BABY SAFE & BIO DEGRADABLE FORMULA Enriched with the goodness of Bio-enzyme, plant based formula, this is super safe for your baby's skin. Enzymes are cleaning agents that help in breaking down stubborn stains and hence clean the clothes better. Our detergent is biodegradable and soft on hands and clothes.
- REMOVES TOUGH STAINS With citrus extracted from citric fruits, the detergent not just kills bacteria, mold and mildew, but is also a great for disinfecting and effectively removing tough stains, soap scum, hard water stains, milk and food stains etc.
- ANTI BACTERIAL With ingredients such as Neem extract, the detergent has antibacterial properties that help in getting rid of the bacteria arising from milk, drool or food spilled on clothes, sweat etc.
- SOFT ON HANDS & CLOTHES Suitable for cleaning cotton, linen, synthetic fiber, baby fabrics including bedding, blankets, sheets, towels and cloth diapers. Does not dry out or harm hands while washing.
- NON TOXIC NATURAL FORMULA The detergent is free of nasties such as SLS / SLES, Phosphate, Bleach, Foam Boosters, Optical Brighteners, Paraben etc.
Born Good Liquid Detergent
Born Good USDA Certified Plant Based Fragrance Liquid Detergent Combo - Japanese Cypress (450 Ml) & Brazilian Rosewood (450 Ml)
Rs. 368 in stock
- Fragrance: Brazilian rosewood 450ml & japanese cypress 450ml
- USDA Certified: This liquid detergent is a 72% USDA certified biobased product that is gentle on your skin and environment as well.
- Work On Tough Stains: This eco friendly liquid detergent is lab-tested to be tough on stains and safe for skin in contact with garments
- Infused with deep cleansing properties that are proven to be more effective than traditional laundry detergents.; Bio-Based: Effluents from washing do not contaminate water bodies and helps reduce water pollution. Pet bottles used are 100% recyclable and reusable.; Ingredients: This liquid detergent has a pH neutral formula contains zero sulphates, phosphates, parabens, LAS & 1,4-Dioxane. This liquid laundry detergent is front load, top load & hand-wash friendly.
- Package Content: 1 Japanese Cypress & Brazilian Rosewood; Quantity: Japanese Cypress (450 Ml) & Brazilian Rosewood (450 Ml); Item Form: Liquid
Why Do I Need a Separate Detergent for Baby’s Laundry?
Normal detergents may be made up of harsh chemicals. Your new little baby’s skin is very sensitive and not accustomed to the environment irritant. Hence using a normal detergent for cleaning babies’ clothes may leave residue and cause allergy to the baby’s skin.
Babies skin is frequently coming in contact with fabric such as clothes, blankets, cloth diapers, baby towel, face cloth, swaddle, and changing sheets can cause damage to the skin.
Always try to opt for chemical-free and natural detergents.back to menu ↑
Types of laundry detergents
There are three main detergents available in the market- liquids, powder, and packs (pods)
- Liquid Detergent
- Detergent Powder
- Laundry Detergent pods
it’s the most popular type of detergent available in the market. It occupies 75% of sales in the detergent industry. They come in a bottle with a pouring spout and cup-like lid to measure the correct amount of detergent. It’s very convenient to use and store.
Pros & Cons of using Liquid Laundry Detergent
Pros of using liquid laundry detergent
- Pre-treat stains
- Easy to use
- Good performance in greasy stains.
Cons Of Using Liquid Detergent
- Not spill proof
Detergent comes in powder form in a card box with a scoop to measure. They’re available in different fragrances suitable for your materials.
Pros & Cons of using Powdered Laundry Detergent
- Easily available
- Works in hard water
- Best performance do ground in stains
- Difficult to pretreat
- Leaves residue
- Packaging not durable
- Packs or pods- these are pre-measured portions of detergents which can be easily tossed into washing machine before adding clothes.
Laundry Detergent Pods
Laundry detergent pods are are small pouches filled with highly concentrated water soluble detergent in a certain one time use quantity.
Pros & Cons of Detergent Pods
- No error in measuring the amount
- Attractive to kids- they come in unique colors like candies and small size balls and may attract young children.
Sharing a tip with all the new moms to wash soiled clothes
Often new mothers are worried about washing clothes with poop. Can we put them in the washer?
Forever yes for all new moms. You can put them in the washer to wash but doing a pre-treat would give great results rather than throwing them straight into the washing machine.
- Wear your gloves and wash the soiled area either with water or a paper towel.
- Wash soiled clothes in hot water in a washing machine to kill all the bacteria. (Read the label to confirm if there are any special instructions to be followed.)
- If it still smells bad try doing one more washing cycle.
- It is always best to dry clothes direct in sunlight.
Tips for washing baby’s clothes
- Check the brand label for washing instructions.
- Pre-wash in cold water
- Pre-soak diapers in water
- Wash babies clothes separately
- Dry in sun
- Fasten all the buttons and Velcro’s to ensure other clothes are not damaged.
- Rinse clothes multiple times in case of hand wash to avoid any residues if detergent remaining in fabric.
Which Laundry Detergent is Best for Newborn baby clothes?
Your newborn has everything so delicate and sensitive. Mother Sparsh baby liquid detergent is formulated keeping in mind the newborn’s needs. It is made with allergen-free fragrances with essential oils, perfect for your tiny bundle.
Mother Sparsh Plant Powered laundry detergent for babies is made by blending curated Botanical herbs. You will find it leaving all your baby clothes soft and clean. Aloe extracts, Neem extracts and Eucalyptus oil it effectively helps in sanitizing baby clothes.
This liquid detergent has added Bio- enzymes which help in removing tough milk residue, dirt & bad odour.
Mother Sparsh Plant Powered laundry detergent is dermatologically tested & doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals such as SLS/SLES, dyes, phosphates, foam booster, bleach & parabens.back to menu ↑
How to choose the best laundry detergent for kids?
You need to take care of a lot of things when it’s about your little one. While choosing the detergent for babies keep the following things in mind.
- Liquid or powder or packs? Skip using packs or pods for children. As they may pose risk to children if ingested mistakenly. Liquid detergent is often approved by mothers for their baby’s clothes rather than detergent. Liquid detergents can be ultra-concentrated before use. Powders can be bulky and may leave a residue. Liquid detergents wash off stains quickly.
- Fragrance and dye-free- it is very important to choose a detergent that is fragrance and dye-free to cause any kind of allergy to the baby. These are just pleasant to smell and do nothing in cleaning the spoiled material.
- No Brighteners- brighteners are the chemicals that remain in fabric and absorbs UV sun to make the cloth appear brighter. Hence skip this while choosing the detergent.
- Plant-based- there are many detergents that are plant-based. They are environmentally friendly. It doesn’t guarantee it won’t irritate the skin. But does less harm.
Which is better Mothersparsh or LuvLap Liquid Detergent?
Mothersparsh Plant-powered liquid detergent for babies is a special formula that is derived from plants and all-natural ingredients. It is any day better than Luv Lap Liquid Detergent.back to menu ↑
Can my Baby Have a Reaction to the Detergent?
The answer is- Yes. There are two types of reaction that detergent may cause to baby’s skin.
1- Skin irritation- this type of reaction occurs immediately after being exposed to the material. It causes red itchy patches to the skin and disappears after the material is removed.
2- Allergic contact dermatitis- it is an allergic reaction and symptoms are not shown immediately. It takes a week time to show up and causes a red itchy rash.back to menu ↑
Why babies’ clothes need separate detergent?
New-born babies’ skins are very sensitive. If there are chemical residue or irritants they might get easily absorbed in their skin. There are laundry detergents available in the market designed for babies’ clothes. They are made of minimal chemicals and cause no harm to the baby’s skin.back to menu ↑
What is Dreft?
Dreft is a laundry detergent that was at first manufactured by P&G. It is said to be the first synthetic detergent ever made.back to menu ↑
Why is Dreft Bad?
Dreft is just like any other regular detergent, however, some chemicals found in it were known to be causing cancer and other toxicities.back to menu ↑
Are there Toxic Chemicals in Laundry Detergents?
Some detergents can have toxic chemicals that you must keep a watch for, here is the list of these offending ingredients-
- Sodium borate- It affects the respiratory system and causes skin allergy.
- Ethanol-mine- It is known to have respiratory affect have and general systemic organ effect. It causes skin irritation and allergies.
- Diethylene glycol- It is found in anti-freeze products. It is associated with cancer development and reproductive effects. Affects Respiratory, digestive, nervous, skin irritant and allergy.
Is fabric softener good for babies clothes?
Washing baby’s clothes before they wear them is an absolute necessity. Wash new clothes in free and clear detergent and avoid using fabric softener. And fabric softener can reduce the effectiveness of the flame retardancy on a baby’s pajamas and can also irritate babies’ skin. Check the label before adding fabric softeners. Fabric softeners have strong fragrances sometimes that may not be safe for newborns.back to menu ↑
Do baby’s clothes need washing before the first wear?
Yes, all your baby’s clothes should be washed before you use them. To avoid any kind of skin allergy.back to menu ↑
Can I wash newborns clothes in washing machine?
Happily yes, you can wash all your baby’s clothes in a washing machine by choosing a good detergent. Make sure you sort them before washing them.back to menu ↑
What detergent is best for baby’s clothes?
Look for baby skin-friendly detergents to wash your baby’s clothes. Plant-based detergents are mostly recommended, as they are not harmful to the baby’s skin.back to menu ↑
What are the Best Laundry Detergents for Kids with Eczema
Plant based Detergents will any day be better than regular detergents for children with eczema.back to menu ↑
Is it Okay to Use Regular Laundry Detergent for Washing Baby’s Clothes?
As parents, you will want the best for your baby. Some babies have sensitive skin and require special or gentle detergents. The regular detergent may not cause any problem, however best to use a safe, ecofriendly detergent.back to menu ↑
How Do You Wash New Born Baby Clothes?
You can simply hand-wash or machine-wash newborn baby’s clothes. Since many babies have sensitive skin that is prone to eczema, do check that the detergent you are using is free of any artificial fragrances and is hypoallergenic.