A must read detailed guide on What is a Cloth Diaper, Are cloth diapers good for baby, which type of cloth diaper is best, what mistakes to avoid when choosing a cloth diaper, are cloth diapers leak proof, Best cloth diapers in India and much more.
Here is our pick for the Best Cloth Diaper for thin babies
and here is our pick for the Best Cloth Diaper for toddlers.
Cloth Diapers are economical, rash-free, and best of all a sustainable way of living that we can definitely think of adopting. Here is a detailed guide for new moms on everything they need to know about cloth diapering
In this article we will cover everything you need to know about Cloth Diapering
What is a Cloth diaper?
A cloth diaper resembles a regular disposable plastic diaper in shape and size, but is eco-friendly and re-usable for the entire diapering period of your baby. This means it is made of washable cloth or natural fibers or man-made fibers that do not harm the environment.
Some Cloth Diapers are waterproof some are not. But the term diaper is technically used when it is water proof.
Often PUL (Polyurethane laminate) is the outer most layer used – that makes the diaper waterproof. The outer layer may be made of PUL or polyester or organic cotton or any other fabric.
✅ What are the best cloth diaper brands in India for babies and toddlers?
Here is a list of Popular Cloth Diaper Brands that you can invest in
|Variety||Average Per diaper Cost||Comfort||Availability|
|Bumberry Offers a good variety of all types of diapers including newborn diapers.||500 INR||Comfortable, well absorbent||See on Amazon|
|Superbottoms Offers a good variety of all type of diapers, including newborn diapers and training pants for toddlers||780 INR||Soft, well absorbent and comfortable||See on Amazon|
|Bumpadum Offers all type of diapers including flats||805 INR||Great fit and comfortable||See on Amazon|
|Kindermum Offers all type of diapers including muslin flats and training pants too.||775 INR||Trim diapers, easy to use.||See on Amazon|
|Alva baby Offers great variety||615 INR||Highly absorbent. very soft material||See on Amazon|
Best Cloth Diapers in India
Best Cloth diaper for babies: Superbottoms Newborn Diaper
SuperBottoms Newborn Value Pack - 3 Newborn UNO, Washable and Reusable Diaper + 3 Dry Feel Pads (Newborn Size) + 3 Easy Clean Top Sheet - No Print Choice, Assorted Prints
Rs. 1,844 in stock
- CONTENTS- 3 Newborn UNO Multi-sized Waterproof Outer + 3 Dry Feel Pads
- 3 Easy Clean Top Sheets that makes poop cleaning extremely easy.
- Skin-friendly, made with 100% love by all moms and 0% compromise.
- Join our Facebook group- Superbottoms Family with thousands of parents for geniune support and help on any diapering query
- Check out our website and blogs to know more about wash and care of cloth diapers
Best Organic Cloth Diaper- SuperBottoms Freesize UNO – Washable & Reusable Cloth Diaper
SuperBottoms Freesize UNO - Washable & Reusable Cloth Diaper containing 1 Waterproof Outer + 1 Organic Cotton Dry Feel pad +1 Booster pad [Day & Night Use] (for Babies 5 KG- 17 KG) â€“ Good Cat-titude
Rs. 890 in stock
- CONTENTS: 1 Multi-size Waterproof Outer cloth diaper along with 2 pads (1 Dry Feel Pad and 1 Booster Pad). Fits Babies from 5kgs to 17kgs (3 months to 3 years) This adjustable cloth diaper is freesize and is washable and reusable.
- LONG LASTING AND HEAVY ABSORBENCY - SuperBottoms Freesize UNO is a high performance, advanced cloth diaper that is not only washable and reusable but also soft & gentle on your baby's skin & comes with the goodness of 100% organic cotton & no harmful chemicals. Depending upon the baby's wetting pattern, these last upto 12 hours* with additional Dry Feel Pads (Soaker/insert) promising a good night's sleep. The outer shell of the diaper is waterproof.
- Freesize - SuperBottoms Free size UNO cloth diapers fit babies from 5kgs to 17kgs. You can easily adjust the size of the diaper to Small/Medium or Large/Extra Large depending on your baby's weight by snapping the buttons in the front. This helps you in saving the money on buying diapers again and again. Same diaper fits baby till potty training. The same diaper can be washed and reused for 300+ times
- CPSIA TESTED AND CERTIFIED Super Trim cloth diapers: Superbottoms cloth diapers come with a very trim crotch. These are atleast 30% trimmer than any other brand available on Amazon. With lesser gap in legs, you can rest assured about your babies' comfort Thoughtfully designed and crafted by the SuperBottoms team of Mommies for Mommies. A Proudly Made in India product with over 2 million+ happy customers. VOTED India's best cloth diaper brand as per KSP 2017, 2018 and 2019 awards.
- INDIA'S FIRST CLOTH DIAPER HELPLINE: For any help, save and reach our Cloth Diaper Helpline at +917499025345. Our helpline is managed by a team of mothers who are passionate about cloth diapers. ****Also JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP WITH THOUSANDS OF HAPPY CUSTOMERS - SEARCH FOR SuperBottoms Family and interact with them to get authentic feedback :)****
Since the outer layer of most cloth diapers is PUL, it is very unlikely to get a 100% organic cloth diaper. This Superbottoms diaper is a regular cloth diaper that comes with an organic soaker/insert/pad.back to menu ↑
Best Cloth Diapers for Skinny Babies- Bumpadum Aviva Organic Cotton Cloth Diaper
Bumpadum Aviva Organic Cotton Cloth Diaper (One Size)
Rs. 849 in stock
- One-size diaper, fits babies from 3 months - 3 years. Just pick a fresh diaper and put on baby - no stuffing, no tying, no pinning
- Easy to use side closing snaps keep the front free from confusing buttons. Grandparents, nannies, day care find it easy to use
- Extremely trim diaper, can be worn with regular sized clothing. No more sizing up
Best cloth diaper for new born babies – Bumpadum newborn diapers
Bumpadum Neo Putani Organic Cotton Cloth Diaper for Newborn Babies - 2-8 Kgs (Whimsea)
- Newborn size diaper. Fits babies from 3 - 6 kgs approximately
- 4 absorbent layers topped with micro fleece give stellar absorbency as well as protect your tiny squish from wetness, allowing your baby and you some much needed sleep
- Buttery soft fabric on the inside keeps baby's skin dry and comfortable. Slightly long insert allows you to fold to get more absorbency but doesn't add bulk
- The only company to make modern cloth diapers in India. Contact us for any help in using our products. Insert snaps on to the shell, making it easy to clean the diaper, especially important in those first few months
- Package Content: 1 Diaper
Best cloth diaper for toddlers: Superbottoms free Size diaper
Superbottoms Cloth Diapers Plus Reusable All in One Diaper with 2 Organic Cotton Soakers and Dry Feel - Wandering Foodie
- High quality - Superbottoms products are designed with a lot of care and made with high-quality fabrics which are selected carefully
- While a lot of fabrics may look similar, there can be a significant difference between them in terms their absorbency, performance and durability
- Superbottoms diapers are designed by mothers and is an all-mothers team that works on the brand making sure, only the best product goes out to your babies
- Gots certified organic cotton - Superbottoms plus diaper is made from gots certified 100 percent organic cotton soakers
- Organic cotton is extremely absorbent a fabric and is also therefore expensive and durable compared to bamboo cotton; This makes Superbottoms diapers not just last longer, but also perform better
Bumpadum free size diapers
Bumpadum One Size Stay-Dry Reusable Economical Cover Diaper with Stay Dry Organic Cotton Insert (Torana)
- Cover diaper made of waterproof laminated fabric, fits from 5- 15 kg wipe the cover/air-dry and reuse with a fresh set of inserts/prefold/flats. If there is poop the cover needs to be washed compatible with stay dry organic cotton inserts, prefolds, duet standard two-part insert, toddler insert, organic cotton insert, flats.
- 100% unbleached organic cotton insert with 7 layers of organic cotton and 1 additional stay dry fabric layer allowing you to choose between organic or stay-dry comfort for baby. Snaps at the back to attach the insert to the cover diaper/ diaper shells.
- 7 layers of organic cotton and 1 stay dry micro-fleece layer. Total 16 layers of absorbency when folded in half. Wash once before daytime use, 3 times before overnight usage. Size: 53 cm x 11 cm.
- This combination can be used for 3-4 hours during daytime and lasts overnight for 8-9 hours overnight. Add a hemp booster to increase duration at night..
- Package Content: 1 Diaper With Waterproof Diaper Shell and One Stay Dry Organic Cotton Insert
Bumberry Baby Reusable Cloth Diaper With 1 Natural Bamboo Cotton Insert
Bumberry Baby Reusable Diaper Cover Adjustable Size with One Natural Bamboo Insert(Yellow, 0 to 12 Months)
Rs. 496 in stock
- Closure Type: Flap-over-snap
- Recommended Age: New Born to 1 Years
- Material: Polyester, Nylon and Bamboo Fibers
- Size: Free size- small, medium, large sizes can be adjusted in the same diaper
- Color: Highlight Yellow; Wash Care Instruction: Washable; Package Content: 1 Reusable Diaper Cover, 1 Natural Bamboo Insert
Bumberry Reusable Diaper Cover and 2 Wetfree Inserts
Bumberry Reusable Diaper Cover and 2 Wetfree Inserts (3 - 36 Months)
Rs. 599 in stock
- Diaper Cover With 2 Wet-Free Inserts
- The Most Convenient And Comfortable Diapering Solution For New Borns And Babies Under One Year Of Age
- The Diaper Cover Can Be Used More Than Once, By Changing The Inserts Alone Every 2-5 Hours Depending Upon The Urination Pattern.
- Though It Can Be Used For Longer Hours, We Recommend To Change The Inserts Depending On The Urination Pattern With Maximum Time Of 6 Hours And Also Keep The Baby Diaper Free For Some Hours Even For Any Diapers
- Small - Medium - Large Sizes Can Be Adjusted In The Same Diaper (One Size Concept) With Attractive Large Variety Of Colors And Patterns Available
Tushions Green Diapers Organic Cotton Muslin Flats,
Green Diapers Color Magic InfiniT AIO Cloth Diaper
- Can be re-used upto 300 times
- Provides a dry-feel to the baby
- Suitable for hand wash or machine wash
- Ready to use: our new Organic Cotton Insert is ready to use with just one wash.
Alvababy Alva Baby Aio Cloth Diaper for Babies
Alvababy Alva Baby Aio Cloth Diaper for Babies (with 4-Layer Premium Bamboo Insert),Washable Reusable All in One Cloth Diapers (Boat)
Rs. 599 in stock
- One Size Adjustable Diaper: Three rows of adjustable snaps to allow for a small, medium,large size in one diaper. Usually fit 0-15 years' baby. If you are looking for a high quality pocket diaper to last through your baby’s infancy, toddlerhood and even future babies, it is worth the money to invest in Bambinoz baby diapers. Grow with your baby.
- Soft Exterior: 113% polyester, waterproof and breathable PUL, this kind of more durable materials, breathe and better construction diapers help keep your baby comfortable. Double Rows of snaps fit well, the leg gusset can avoid the leaks.
- Absorbent and Soft Insert: Inserts are made of 2 layers of microfiber and 17 layers bamboo, the strong absorbent material with breath ability and softness is gentle on your baby’s bottom meeting the high standards to help keep your baby dry, comfortable and happy. The inner side cloth touches baby, and wicks moisture away from baby's bottom to the insert to keep your baby dry.
- Reusable & Washable: As disposable nappies are getting very expensive,these reusable, super-absorbent cloth diapers are an ideal choice, they will last you for a much longer period of time. No need to stock and store multiple size diapers. A perfect idea for your baby and your planet.
- Perfect Baby Shower Gift: Cute stylish prints for boys & girls. It will be an ideal gift for the newborns and new moms!Bambinoz reusable washable baby diapers are made with more comfortable high quality material and fine workmanship, which touch softer, strong water absorption and breathable.
Kindermum Nano AIO Reusable Cloth Diaper
Kindermum Nano AIO Reuseable Cloth Diaper with 2 Certified Organic Cotton Inserts(3-36 Months) - Solar System
Rs. 775 in stock
- TRIMMEST Diaper is here - Kindermum Nano AIO is trimmest cloth diapers, with GOTS certified 100% organic cotton
- Amazing ABSORPTION CAPACITY AND STURDY- Kindermum Nano lasts for 4-5 hours during daytime
- trimness makes Kindermum Nano AIO, different and efficient than any other diaper Multiple washes are not required to make inserts absorbent.
- Also give stay dry feel to babies even after peeing multiple times.
- which is good for environment and baby's skin. You can very well connect with us on Facebook and other social media platforms.
Best Cloth diapers for babies and toddlers online sorted by price
Superbottoms vs Bumpadum
Both Bumpadum and Superbottoms are great in terms of fit and quality; They both have all in one diaper range, but Superbottoms are easier to use, the Superbottoms snapping system is very easy to use.
The Superbottoms snapping system is very easy to use. When it comes to inserts, SuperBottoms’ inserts are made of 100% organic cotton which makes them very sturdy and long-lasting in terms of absorbency. Bumpadum inserts also offer long-lasting absorbency and durability.
Superbottoms as a brand chooses organic cotton as the key material because it is eco-friendly. No wonder Superbottoms has been voted as No.1 by KSP awards, 3times in a row. So if you are looking best organic cloth diapers- Go for Superbottoms
You can also Check out Best rated Superbottoms cloth diapers hereback to menu ↑
Superbottoms vs Bumberry
Both brands are good. Superbottoms is slightly expensive than Bumberry. Superbottoms though has a trial offer on its diapers and has a very good customer support system. Their support team comprises mothers who have used Superbottoms’ diapers
Functionality-wise both brands are good. I have used both brands and I personally find Bumberry sturdier and long-lasting. Superbottoms diapers are trimmer than Bumberry diapers. Superbottoms have an advantage that they use organic cotton. If you are looking for the best organic cloth diapers- Go for Superbottoms
You can also Check out best rated Bumberry cloth diapers hereback to menu ↑
Best Cloth Diapers for Toddlers
All In One diaper or Hybrid Diapers are good for toddlers.back to menu ↑
Best Cloth Diapers in Summers
Fitted Diapers can be a good choice as most don’t have outer PUL cover. However, if you are not comfortable with fitted diapers or non-water-proof diapers, you can use any trim diaper with hemp/bamboo or organic cotton inserts. In summers, do keep your baby hydrated and also give a lot of diaper-free time to your baby.
Click here to check our picks for two best cloth diapers in summersback to menu ↑
How are diapers of different brands different from each other?
All diapers are made eco-friendly with PUL/Polyester/organic cotton material. All the brands have various varieties of diapers and inserts. What varies are size, material, and design. Some find a brand best in fitting; some may find another one better. It’s a personal choice, depending on the size of your baby.
Remember to confirm that the fabric is made natural and chemical-free. Also, you can find some brands expensive. It’s the quality, designs, and the best fitting they make, that makes them expensive. Trust me, it’s totally worth it.back to menu ↑
Why choose cloth diapers? Are they worth it?
Yes. Cloth diapers are definitely something that you can invest in as a parent. Its good for babies as they do not cause rashes. Also they are economical and sustainable than single use diapers.
1. Rash-free diapering
Disposable diapers are chemically laden and cause rashes to baby’s skin especially to those born with sensitive skin. Cloth diapers do not cause any rashes since they are made of natural soft harmless fibers.
2. Economic decision
Buying cloth diapers is a one-time investment of around 6000-7000 for a good stash that can last for complete diapering stages of all your kids. Cloth diapers can even be passed on to your second child. So, these are very economic when compared to disposable diapers that would amount to 15k to 20k per year per child. Average diapering period is 3 years, so the cost comes to a whopping 45k to 60k! That’s a huge difference, isn’t it?
Cloth diapers save a lot of money. Moreover, there are people who would even buy pre-loved cloth diapers to build a good stash, so once you are done with diapering your child, you can even sell cloth diapers.
3. Offer a sustainable way of living
As parents, we always choose the best for our kids. From clothes to toys to diapers, we make a lot of research before buying them anything.
But, sometimes we forget to think and research about the consequences of our little decisions.
For example, we have some brands in our mind as the best diaper brands for our kids. They may be best for babies, or rather best for parents who want to avoid mess at home, but are they doing well to the environment? We use and throw the diaper away and forget about it. Do you know where they all go? Do you think they get recycled like other wastes? No! Disposable diapers are dumped into landfills and remain non-decomposed for as long as 400+ years.
This is the bitter truth. And the same applies to sanitary pads which remain non-decomposed for 800 years polluting the water and the environment around.
4. Look Good and Feel Good
All cloth diapers come in lovely colors and prints. Making your diapering journey super colorful, memorable, and fun.back to menu ↑
Cloth Diapers Vs Disposable Diapers
We may be making right decisions for kids today, but what about their future? We must work towards solving the problem. Hence, we must opt for Cloth diapers – natural, plastic free, chemical free, reusable, eco-friendly. It’s a one-time investment that will last for over 200 times thus economic.back to menu ↑
How to use cloth diapers?
Use them like any other diaper. Simply lay the diaper under baby’s bottom and snap them according to the size. Change it in 3-4 hours or when baby poops and wash it off under running water and keep it in a corner for further wash process (discussed later).
What are the types of cloth diapers?
Pocket Cloth Diaper:
This diaper consists of an outer shell with one side open forming a pocket to insert one/more soaker(s). The shell has a dry feel layer attached that touches the baby’s bum. This is mostly used for medium wetter babies. They work well for up to 4 hours or more, depending upon the insert used.
Cover Cloth Diaper:
Consists of outer waterproof shell which needs a soaker/insert to be attached to it that directly touches the baby’s skin. These are best for day time diapering. You can use muslin flats, bamboo, hemp or microfiber inserts that are layered with fleece.
All-in-one Cloth Diaper
This type of diaper works as a pocket as well as a cover. It has attached inserts with dry feel layers and contains a pocket to insert extra soakers if needed. These are mostly used for night time diapering since a good quality all-in-one would work up to 8-9 hours.
Fitted Cloth Diapers for babies:
These are the same as pocket diapers but the outer shell isn’t waterproof. It is made of organic cotton or wool-like fabric and makes the diaper breathable. You can attach a waterproof shell outside while using. Some people prefer using breathable diapers, so it works best for them. The complete shell acts as an absorbent.
They resemble the plastic training pants available in market, but are reusable. They have multiple layers of micro fleece or micro suede that hold 1 or 2 pees. The outer layer is waterproof.
You can find small sized pockets, covers and all-in-one diapers for new-born as well.
The dry layers that touch a baby’s skin are made of micro fleece or micro suede. These help in keeping baby’s skin dry without letting them feel any wetness or irritation. Hence preventing diaper rashes.
Types of soakers/inserts:
- Microfiber: Made from microfiber material, they are great absorbents and can work well for up to 2-3 hours.
- Charcoal bamboo: Made from charcoal and bamboo material, soaks well and can work well for 4-5 hours.
- Organic bamboo cotton: Made from organic bamboo material, this one has great absorbency and can work up to 6-8 hours without leaks.
- Hemp: made from organic hemp fiber, it has the most absorbency. It can be used for night time since it absorbs pee for up to 8-10 hours.
How to choose a cloth diaper?
First of all, analyze whether your baby is a medium wetter or a heavy wetter. A medium wetter can do with microfiber inserts in pocket/cover diapers during the daytime, and for the night, you can opt for bamboo inserts or all-in-ones for longer absorption.
For a heavy wetter, you will need bamboo inserts during day time as well. Otherwise, you will need a huge stash of microfibers. So, you can choose all-in-ones for day and nights, and ‘hemp’ inserts for longer absorption.
Now, research on a trusted and certified brand for these inserts. I had been convinced with Superbottoms, Bumberry and Bumpadum seeing loads of positive reviews on their websites and on Amazon. Also, they make excellent quality diapers and inserts that absorb really well. They don’t get stained soon and wash off easily. Also, they have good re-sale value since they are loved by all since their prints are very cool.
I had a huge stash of them that I used for more than a year. They looked like new even when I sold them off to other moms and they were all very happy to receive them.back to menu ↑
How to wash and maintain cloth diapers?
- Once you remove a diaper off a baby’s bum; wash it under running water removing all pee and poop from it. It may take 1 minute of continuous water pressure. You can use a hand shower too.
- Next, separate inserts and shells and hang them on the rim of a bucket. Let them breathe.
- Similarly, you can collect diapers for a day or two in the same bucket.
- Now, they can all go in the machine for a wash with normal detergent.
- You can hand-wash them as well like any other clothes.
- You can also wash them along with other laundry since they are pee and poop free now.
- Try to sun-dry them every time so that they dry faster and sun is a natural and best disinfectant.
- Your diapers are fresh as new after each wash.
- You can bleach or strip them all once in a while to refresh them and get rid of stubborn stains and odor.
Where to find cloth diapers in India
There are a lot of brands that make cloth diapers. You can find some in local stores as well. However, some of my favorite Indian brands are Bumberry, Superbottoms, and Bumpadum. There are some international brands that are very good, so, if you are traveling to the U.S.A or Singapore, you can probably get your hands on them too.
I don’t say that others aren’t good enough, but I have personally tried these brands and I love my experience of diapering. Their quality is amazing and I bet you won’t regret it.
If you find them expensive, there is a group of experienced moms on Facebook who sell off their pre-loved diapers once they are done with diapering, at low rates. Don’t worry about the performance; it will be the same at the 200th time as it was at 1st use. Just make sure you don’t buy a damaged one.
Points to remember:
- A cloth diaper works as good as a disposable one. Don’t worry about leaks. Once you get the hang of it, you will love them.
- Buy the best quality. Don’t worry about the price; they are worthy and definitely much cheaper than the disposable diapers.
- You can find some brands like ‘Superbottoms’, ‘Bumpadum’ and many others that are certified organic and safe to use.
- Rating below absorbency from best to good:
- Organic bamboo
- Charcoal bamboo
- Always wash the diapers well before starting to use them, since the fabric needs to be prepped so that it starts to absorb well.
- Wash and dry them well, they get better and better after every use.
- I had bought a large stash of different brands that cost me around 10k and sold them all at 5k once my kids were trained. You see! I diapered my baby for a year at 5k only and I could use the same for my next baby for free as well: So much money being saved here.
- There are dedicated teams from brands who assist you throughout your diapering journey.
- Always apply coconut oil on the baby’s skin while cloth diapering to avoid frictional rashes by the dry cloth layer on top.
- It’s better late than never. Start cloth diapering now for a better future for your little bum.
- The Municipality of Kerala doesn’t accept plastic and sanitary wastes from homes. It’s a great initiative to promote cloth diapering and I hope the rest of our country becomes plastic-free too very soon.
Best Cloth diaper brands outside India
|Smart Bottoms (See here)|
|Bumgenius (See here)|
|Alva baby (See here)|
|Thirsties Baby (See here)|
Which Cloth diaper is best in India?
There are a few good brands available in India that are made in India. Each brand has several diaper types. Some popular brands are Superbottoms, Bumberry, and Bumpadum. There are many new players too like Babyhug, PawPaw.back to menu ↑
What are cloth diapers?
Cloth diapers are reusable ecofriendly diapers made of washable cloth. Cloth diapers are nothing but our good old langots with many layers , an insert, fancy prints and an outer waterproof shell. Indians have been cloth diapering since times immemorial!!back to menu ↑
How Do Cloth Diapers Work?
Functionality-wise cloth diapers work the same as disposable ones. They have inserts to soak/absorb pee and to contain poop. There are many options that you can choose from.back to menu ↑
Are Cloth Diapers Better than Disposable Diapers?
Best for the environment, best for the bum, more comfortable and breathable than disposables, economic too.back to menu ↑
Is the outer layer of cloth diapers is water-resistant?
Yes, most are made of the layer which is waterproof and breathable. However, some people use organic cotton diapers that are nonwaterproof.back to menu ↑
Do the chances of getting skin rashes are lesser than disposable diapers?
Absolutely. the chances are almost negligible. They do not cause rashes. It is most recommended to apply virgin coconut oil after each change of diaper. Also, if you use the wrong size, there are chances that babies develop frictional rashes. So, choose the right fit.back to menu ↑
Can Cloth diapers be washed at home and can be reused?
Cloth Diapers can be washed at home, hotel, or anywhere where there is a water supply, detergent, and space to dry. These diapers can be used over and over up to 200 times.back to menu ↑
What Things Should We Keep In Mind While Using Them?
- Prepping your diapers before first use improves the absorbency
- Immediately cleanse each diaper with plain water once it is taken off to get rid of pee and poop. Your diapers will stay good and last longer this way.
- Ensure a snug fit to avoid leakages.
- Do not use liquid detergent or fabric softeners on Cloth diapers, it affects the absorbency adversely.
How Should Cloth Diapers Be Cleaned or Sanitized?
Washing and sundrying the clothdiapers is enough. The diapers should be completely dry. That’s all, nothing else is required.back to menu ↑
How many types of cloth diapers are available in market and which one is highly recommended?
The diaper types are explained here in the blog. Most popular and commonly used are covers and pocket diapers, however when it comes to absorbency you can choose AIOs.back to menu ↑
When Cloth diapers should be used more during the day or night?
You can exclusively use cloth diapers for both days and nights. However, use highest absorbency soakers for night time.back to menu ↑
What is the Most Absorbent Cloth Diaper Insert?
Hemp inserts are known to be the best when it comes to absorbency.back to menu ↑
What is the Trimmest Cloth Diaper?
There are many brands selling trim diapers some of which are Super bottoms, Kindermum and Bumpadum. Some International brands like Smartbottoms, BumWear and Thirsties Baby have highly absorbent Trim diapers, but these come at a steep price if you buy them in India.back to menu ↑
How do All in One (AIO) Cloth Diapers Work?
AIO diapers come with attached/sewn-in soakers. They just need to be put on, no fixing of inserts is needed. Though convenient to change, these take time to dry. AIOs are slightly expensive than other diaper types.back to menu ↑
What is All in 2 (AI2)Cloth Diapers?
These are also known as Hybrid diapers. Unlike AIO, here you need to assemble the inserts/soakers. But they come with the flexibility, you can add soakers depending upon need. Since, the inserts are detachable, these dry faster than AIOs.back to menu ↑
What are the Mistakes People Make When Using Cloth Diaper?
- Not prepping your diapers
- Not changing the diapers on time.
- Not removing poop or cleansing right after diaper change.
- Buying too many Cloth diapers without first using a few.
- Using Fabric softeners or liquid detergents for Cloth diapers
Which Inserts have Maximum Absorbency to get through the night?
Organic cotton and Hemp have highest absorbency.back to menu ↑
How often should you Change Cloth Diapers at Night?
Usually if you are using the right type of diaper that suits your baby’s needs, you won’t have to change at all at night. We recommend that you change right before your baby goes to bed and then change in the morning at 7-8 hrs gap.back to menu ↑
Which are the Best Fitted Diapers?
Most fitted diapers are knitted and warm, best for colder countries. However, there are some diaper makers who can customize diapers as per your need and make bamboo or hemp-fitted diapers. It is also said that wool on the outside does not create any heat, and if using a knitted fitted diaper, it won’t cause any discomfort to the baby.
Few such brands in India are Kindermum, Bumpadum. One popular foreign brand making good quality affordable Fitted diapers is Alva Baby.back to menu ↑
What are the Best Cloth Diapers for Heavy Wetters?
AIOs (All in One) are known to be best for heavy wetting babies. However, after a few trials, you will know what suits your baby the best. Try adding a hemp booster to your regular diaper and see if that is effective. Cloth diapering is all about a lot of trials and errors.back to menu ↑
Recommended Cloth diapers brands in Indiaback to menu ↑
What are Best Cloth Diapers for Nightime?
You can use All in One diapers with additional hemp inserts or Hybrid Diapers (AI2) with extra soaker. Since hemp is known for best absorbency, it is advised to use hemp inserts for night time diapering.back to menu ↑
What are the Best Cloth Diapers for Potty Training
For potty-training, it is best advisable to use trainers/training pants. These are regular under-wears with extra sewn in padding in the crotch area.back to menu ↑
What are the Best Overnight Cloth Diapers for Tummy Sleepers?
Fitted diapers are the best for Tummy sleepers. You can use a fitted diaper with a cover to avoid leaks.back to menu ↑
How Many Inserts Do You Need for Cloth Diapers?
Although, it is one insert per diaper, but since inserts take longer to dry and when using covers you may change just the insert, it is ideal to get 2-3 inserts per diaper. Keep your night time insert requirements also in mind and invest in some good hemp inserts.back to menu ↑
How Long do Cloth Diaper Inserts Last?
It truly depends upon how many inserts are in rotation and what type of insert you are using. A gentle and carefully used diaper and insert will last longer, probably for many years.back to menu ↑
Can Babies Wear Diapers all the Time?
back to menu ↑
Yes, babies can wear diapers as long as you make them wear. However, it is best to give them some diaper free time each day.
Can Cloth Diapers Cause Bow Legs?
No, cloth diapers do not cause bow legs, babies naturally have legs that are inwards.back to menu ↑
Do Cloth Diapers Need Liners?
You can use a decomposable, eco-friendly liner when you are traveling or during monsoons to avoid soiling of diapers.back to menu ↑
When Should I Start Cloth Diapering?
You can start cloth diapering from day 1.back to menu ↑
Do cloth diapers limit mobility?
No, not at all. Cloth-diapers do not affect baby’s movement.back to menu ↑
Are Cloth Diapers Bad for Babies’ Hips?
No, cloth diapers are not bad for babies’ hips.back to menu ↑
Is it Safe to Use Preloved Cloth Diapers?
Absolutely. You can bleach them before using and wash well once and sun dry them. However, avoid reusing stained or torn ones. Only buy preloved, when they are in good condition.back to menu ↑
Are Cloth Diapers Messy?
No, they aren’t. You will take a week’s time to understand the whole process. The only extra thing is that you need to wash off poop off the diaper. A little extra patience needed but definitely not messy.back to menu ↑
Do cloth diapers really save money?
Undoubtedly! They save loads of money. It’s a one-time investment. Your second baby’s diapering will be for free. As said earlier, you can even sell used Cloth diapers or buy preloved cloth diapers to add to your stash.back to menu ↑
How often to wash cloth diapers?
Wash off pee and poop once it’s off the bum. Wash the collected stash once in 2 days. You can rewash all the stash once in 2 months for thorough wash or to remove detergent build-up.back to menu ↑
Can you wash diapers and inserts together?
Yes. In fact, if they are pee and poop free, you can wash them with regular laundry too.
What age group of kids does cloth diapers support?
From birth up to 3.5-4 years, there are a lot of sizes available in the market. Some brands even customize the diapers for older kids, or kids with incontinence issues. There are brands like Bumberry that make Adult Cloth Diapers too.back to menu ↑
How many cloth diapers are needed in a day?
Approximately, 4 to 5 diapers are needed per day. Although it totally depends upon the baby and parent and diaper free time offered.back to menu ↑
How many cloth diapers will I need to comfortably cloth diaper my baby?
You would need a minimum of 12-15 diapers in your stash. However, for newborn babies a stash of at least 20-25 diapers is recommended. You can choose to include more of covers and inserts for your newborn baby. As your baby grows older, he/she will need fewer diaper changes. An infant and a toddler needs a stash of 15-20 diapers.
You can even manage with a smaller stash if you give a lot of diaper free time.back to menu ↑
Do cloth diapers look bulky?
When compared to Disposable diapers, they look bulkier, but believe me; your baby won’t be affected by this at all. Also, cloth diapers do not cause any hindrance in achieving baby milestones.back to menu ↑
How long do cloth diapers last?
A single cloth diaper works amazingly well up to 200 washes, and it gets better and better in absorption after every wash.
A little extra patience and energy is required for a happy cloth-diapering journey. Also, if you love Nature, and you want your kids also to enjoy the same when they grow old, then it’s high time we switch to eco-friendly, sustainable choices.
Don’t miss to pin
You may also want to read one of our other popular articles on Best baby booster seats in India
Don’t you find this blog on cloth diaper interesting and useful? Try it and let me know using the comments below. Would love to hear from you.