Looking for best educational toys for 3 year old? Here I have covered what are educational toys, How to choose an educational toys for your three year old and list of educational toys that have worked for me and much more
The last decade has seen a rising trend in educational toys. With a plethora of options available in the market, both online and offline, it is confusing for the parents to choose the correct toys for their little ones
We often look forward to recommendations from other people, friends, and peers alike. I, being a parent to a four-year-old doll definitely knows the exact confusion that exists. I used to read a lot of articles and made fairly good decisions.
In the process, I learned, and am still learning, that there coexists a relationship between toys and education. With technology seeping even in toys, the good old open-ended and simple toys have lost their shine.
What are educational toys
In simple words – a toy that helps a child in learning about something or in developing a particular skills
How to choose educational toys for kids
While choosing toys for your precious ones, we must bear some vital points in our minds.
- They must be chosen keeping in mind the age and interest of the child
- Introduce them to toys that will improve their existing skills and encourage independent learning.
- It should be low tech and capable of developing their ability to focus and improve their fine motor skills alongside.
- The toy should be safe for the kid’s use and should promote growth through play.
What should a 3 year old know academically
We all agree to the fact that each child is different and has his own pace of development. In general, a 3 year old must be able to :
- Identify different colors and shapes
- Recognize (and write in some cases) all the alphabets
- Recognize and count at least 1 to 10
- Recognize community helpers, animals and birds, fruits and vegetables
- Tell their different body parts
- Use commonly used words.
- Draw and color basic shapes
So before buying a toy ask yourself – Is it age appropriate? Will it help my kid in developing a skill? What subject or theme will my child learn while playing with this toy.
Best educational toys for 3 year old (Preschool and Nursery kids)
Following is a list of some educational toys for a 3 year old.
The toys mentioned below develop basic and necessary skills. They help in developing a child’s fine motor and cognitive skills. These learning toys for 3-year-olds help kids grow emotionally and teach them how to interact and cooperate with others.
Magnetic & Writing Board
A magnetic writing board is a perfect mix of toy and educational aid. It invites the child to play with the colorful letters and the magnetic board fascinates him. It is durable and has a whiteboard too.
A must have educational toy for kids of all ages and you can get these once you child is 3+.back to menu ↑
Jigsaw Puzzles For 3-Year-Old Kids And Above
Puzzles were an absolute favourite with my daughter.
- Puzzles challenge the thought process of the child.
- Teaches them patience.
- Develops hand -to -eye coordination.
- Kids learn to rectify their own errors.
- Introduces kids to the process of problem-solving
There are plenty of options available for 2-3 pieces of puzzles. You can easily choose as per your needs and preference.
I personally have tried this brand and like their puzzlesback to menu ↑
Colouring MATs for Kids
The love for colors and paints need not be explained to anyone.
- This mat is a delight for both the parents and the child.
- It is reusable and washable too.
- The child can be left alone for some time.
- Good value for money
- Increases focus and creativity
Classic Wooden Toy
Abacus is a great toy and educational aid to introduce your child to the world of numbers and counting. You can check out this one here
- The wooden beads are colorful and attractive
- Improves logical thinking in a child
- Learns to recognize numbers and count
- A good toy to keep the child away from gadgets
Another interesting option is this one as I love this brand.back to menu ↑
Colour And Shapes Sorter
This Colour and Shape sorter is another useful toy that proved immensely helpful in teaching my daughter about shapes and colors in an interesting way.
- It keeps the child occupied for a few hours and after a few guidance, the child can play on his own.
- It enhances visual discrimination skills.
- Develops hand-to-eye coordination.
- Can be played in different ways to keep the child interested.
Mini Puzzle Foam Mat for Kids
This bright color foam mat is a must for all kids. I mean kids just love them.
- It serves as building blocks too.
- Can be used as puzzles
- It is made of non- toxic material and is anti-slip too.
- It increases a child’s interest in learning alphabets and numbers.
- Helps in developing fine motor skills.
Building Blocks for Kids
Blocks are a Must have educational toy for kids of all ages. This beautiful colorful set of blocks is an all time favourite with kids.
- It endorses creativity and imagination in a child to create something new.
- Develops their observational skills.
- This block set comes with wheels and it only adds to its charm.
- Helps build the attention span in the child
- The child learns to be patient.
You can also invest in these wooden block toys if you would like to. I personally have them.back to menu ↑
Playdough pack for kids
Playdough is another must have educational toy for kids. I usually get this brand and small colourful tubs of playdough.
- This playdough set comes in a variety of sizes. This pack of 12 different color tubs
- Lets the child explore his creativity.
- It strengthens his hands and fingers muscles
- Makes him confident with his choices and work.
Patterns Pencil Control toys and book for kids
This is the right age for kids to start developing their prewriting skills via practicing pattern writing. You can check out more prewriting book for kids by clicking here
This a great reusable activity cards set to introduce to the tiny tots.
- It has several prewriting worksheets
- Kids learn to control pencils.
- Activities like tracing and joining dots keep them entertained.
- Introduces writing in a fun way.
- It helps them recognize alphabets and numbers.
- Kids learn to draw lines, curves, and patterns.
If you are looking for prewriting skills pdf – get from here at a deal price
For practicing prewriting – you can also get these tracing boards.back to menu ↑
Pretend Role Play Gift for Kids Children 3 Years Old
Role play is very important in a child’s development.
- Role play infuses confidence in kids and improves their communication skills.
- Increases a child’s interactive skills and increases their knowledge too.
- Role play encourages them to take up problems and find solutions.
- Role play teaches kids group work and keeps their minds fertile and active.
Various Pretend play sets you can go for:
- Doctor play set ( Kids learn more about various body parts and their functions and introduces kids to the world of doctors). This one is good
- Special Force Battlefield Army Military Play Set Toys. This one is good
- Tool Set Toys for Kids. Check out this one
- Icecream Trolley pretend play set
- Cash Register for Kids
- Pretend Play Mini Supermarket
Faber-Castell Kindergarten Grip Crayons – Pack of 10 (Assorted)
Everyone buys crayons but getting the right set is very difficult. This is a great set of crayons for our 3 years old.
- These colors provide a good grip ( unlike many colors), and I personally loved it.
- It helps develop the palm muscles and strengthens the knuckles which further helps in holding pencil later.
Sewing Toy Butterfly – Lacing toy for kids
Lacing is a great toy in the initial years of development.
- It improves fine motor skills.
- It increases the attention span of the child.
- It comes in a variety of shapes and sizes.
I have this one but you can get any other shape based on your kid’s choice.back to menu ↑
Skillmatics Educational Game: Dots and Mazes (3-6 Years)
This reusable activity mat is a great toy for kids.
- The mat can be wiped and reused.
- It has prewriting activities that can be played repeatedly.
- The activities increase concentration in kids and are fun to do also.
Memory Game – Fronts and Back
As the name suggests:
- This game boosts the cognitive skills of a child.
- Kids learn to identify and visualize objects.
- Great for improving visual discrimination skills
Alphabets Writing Activity for 3+ years old
This is a great product for 3 year old kids just learning to write.
- Introduces the child to prewriting skills.
- The child learns to recognize the letters and write as well.
- Revision sheets and fun activities to keep the child engrossed.
You can also get Alphabet toys like below. They are fun and help kids in learning Alphabet in a fun wayback to menu ↑
Liked this article on best learning toys for kids
Hope you enjoyed this list of best educational toys for preschooler and nursery kids. Do share it with your friends and social media.
If you have any questions feel free to ask me in comments or if there is any toy that worked for you, do share in comments