Looking for ways to develop your baby’s brain? Check out this black and white contrast cards pdf that you can download and use today
Did you know? Until 3 months of age, newborns are unable to effectively focus on any object more than 8 to 10 inches away from them. Color distinction, as well, is not all that great until that age. Things look blurred during the first few weeks of birth for newborns, slowly the blurriness subsides and they start to recognize the object and then its color.
Thus, it is highly recommended to use high contrast black and white images. They cannot differentiate between similar colors like red and orange or any pastel colors.
Check out the pdf version of High contrast cards pdf for babies here See below video on what is included in the bundle
What are high contrast colors for babies?
Scientific research has shown that the retina of a newborn baby isnâ€™t fully developed. The simple high contrast black and white images are a great way to help develop their eyesight.
You can also see newborns responding to high contrast cards or board books around the age of 3 months.
Check out Black and white cards online.
Check out high contrast books for babies that are available here.
We adults can distinguish the differences between lots of colors and a huge range of shades but it is difficult for a newborn to identify them rather than just black and white.
Available in USD here.
How to use high contrast cards for baby
High contrast cards can be a great way to help your baby learn and develop. They can also be used as a tool to calm and soothe your baby. Here are a few tips on how to use high contrast cards with your baby:
-Place the card close to your baby’s face, about 8-10 inches away.
-Allow your baby to focus on the card for short periods of time, no more than 30 seconds at a time.
-Encourage your baby to reach for the card and explore it with their hands.
-Talk to your baby while they are looking at the card, describing what they are seeing.
-If your baby seems overwhelmed or tired, stop and take a break.
What are our high contrast black and white printables for babies?
We have created a set of 30 black and white high contrast cards to use with your newborns for the important development milestone of visual input.
You can join these cards to make an accordion of cards or simply place it on the mat where the baby is laid for some tummy time.
It is highly recommended to print them on cardstock paper or laminate them with soft edges for durability and also to sustain the drool attack by babies.
Ideally, place these cards within 20-30 cms for your baby to start focusing on them. They might focus for a couple of seconds initially but slowly they would get habituated to it as they grow.
You would be amazed to see how they interact with these high-contrast images.
Why are high-contrast images good for babies?
These cards are very important for a baby’s cognitive development. Babies use their eyes to understand the outside world till the age of 5 months as only after that do they start using their other senses to explore the world around them.
Constant exposure to high contrast images especially till 14 weeks helps in building coordination among their two eyes.
Also Read – How can I help my baby sleep through the night?
Here’s how you can get started with high contrast baby cards:
- Babies can focus on objects that are 8-11 inches away in the first 3 months. Parents/caregivers need to hold the cards and show them to babies to get their attention.
- After 3 months start placing the cards at a distance of 10-15 inches by sticking them on the wall near the changing station or inside of their cribs.
- Once the baby gets familiar and starts focusing increase the distance as the baby grows.
- The next milestone is to encourage rollover by providing tummy time. High contrast baby cards are the best tummy time partners. It helps in visual stimulation.
- You can promote their visual tracking by slowly moving the images back and forth by following their eye movement.
- Do not place all cards together. Limit it to 3-4 max. When the baby loses interest in a set or one card then change to a new image.
- Offer these high-contrast images for tummy time, the car travels, playtime, and also for soothing the baby.
You may like to check this extremely useful article- >>> Best baby care products for newborn babies <<<( A super helpful consolidated list of Best products recommended by moms)
How do you use a high contrast card?
You can use contrast cards during tummy-time:-
1. Put your baby on your thighs, with the baby’s belly down. you can rub the baby’s back. Show a high contrast card in line with your baby’s vision, and slowly move it to see if the baby moves her head in the direction of the card.
2. Newborn babies like to see sideways, you can place the contrast cards on the side they are looking at. Keep changing the side for the cards so that the baby gets to move the head.
3. You can make a small foldable booklet with these cards and place them in front of your baby.
4. Another interesting thing that can be done is to paste (or you can make transparent pockets) the contrast cards on the 6 sides of a cube (you can take a small cubical box)
What are stimulation cards?
Black and white contrast cards are also called stimulation cards, these cards are known to be highly effective in improving and stimulating vision for babies. These cards are also called visual discrimination cards.
What do high contrast cards do for babies?
Till six months of age, babies can only clearly see between 12-15 inches in front of them and do not see colors as we do. They only see black, white, and grey color tones.
Black and white cards and toys are best for babies, here are a few reasons why you should get these:-
- Lengthens the attention span
- Stimulates baby’s vision and cognitive abilities.
- These cards improve their memory and develop the nervous system.
- These can make tummy time fun for your baby.
Why are black and white cards good for babies?
Black and white cards are known to stimulate a babyâ€™s eyes and promote brain development. These black and white picture cards magically keep your newborn baby engaged for long periods of time.
What is the Science behind Contrast cards for babies?
Babies grow very fast, and so does their brain in the first few years of life. There are many things that parents can do to help brain development.
Visual stimulation helps the infants the most and it is easy to perform too.
Research says that the newborn baby’s retina isnâ€™t fully developed but simple, high contrast, black and white images can help develop their eyesight.
As adults, we can distinguish between different shades and colors, but a newborn baby can only differentiate between contrasts such as black and white.
If you loved this article and engaging your baby purposefully is your aim then, you definitely should check-out this article on >>> Best Books for babies <<< – Most Epic List Of Books that are Loved by Moms & Babies alike!!!